- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, 1 tbsp of the sugar, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk with the melted butter and egg yolk. Set aside (see note).
- In a third bowl, whisk the egg white with an electric mixer until frothy. Gradually add the remaining 1 tbsp of sugar and whisk until semi-firm peaks form.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir with a spatula just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in the egg white and chocolate using a spatula. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large non-stick skillet, or crepe pan brushed with butter, over medium heat, cook 3 to 4 pancakes at a time using 3 tbsp (45 ml) of the batter for each one. Once the pancakes are nicely golden and bubbles start to form on the surface, after about 3 minutes, gently flip them over using a spatula. Cook on the second side until golden and cooked through, about 1 minute.
- Serve with crème anglaise (custard sauce), chocolate sauce or maple syrup, if desired.
After measuring out your buttermilk, leave it in the measuring cup and add the melted butter and egg yolk, then mix with a fork. One less bowl to clean!