Open-Faced Sandwiches with Cashew Spread, Tomatoes and Grilled Peppers
- 1 cup (130 g) raw cashews
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 small garlic clove, halved
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 8 slices sprouted grain bread
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 4 tomatoes, various colours, sliced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) balsamic vinegar
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 2 cups (50 g) arugula
- ½ cup (120 g) store-bought marinated grilled bell peppers, patted dry and cut into strips
- In a small pot, cover the cashews with the water. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and let soak for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a blender, purée the soaked cashews with the remaining ingredients, except for the chives, until smooth. Add a little water, as needed. Season with pepper. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the chives. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, with the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Lightly brush the bread slices with oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a bowl, delicately toss the tomato slices with the oil, vinegar and Tabasco. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cashew mixture over the toasted bread. Top with the arugula, tomato slices and bell pepper strips.
The cashew spread is also delicious on crackers, in pita bread or served as a dip.