- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Butter and flour an 11 x 8-inch (28 x 20 cm) rectangular baking dish or a similarly sized oval baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. With the machine running on low speed, add the dry ingredients alternating with the fruit cocktail. Spread out in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. As soon as the cake is out of the oven, prick the surface all over with a fork or skewer. Pass a thin blade between the side of the baking dish and the cake.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, bring all of the ingredients except the vanilla to a boil. Simmer gently for 20 minutes or until thickened. Keep an eye on the mixture as it has a tendency to boil over. Add the vanilla.
- Gradually pour one-third of the hot glaze over the cake while carefully lifting the edge with a knife to let the glaze seep underneath. Let the glaze soak into the cake. Serve warm or cold. Serve with the remaining glaze.