- In a large cast Iron Dutch oven or in a pot, combine the flour, raisins, salt, cinnamon and yeast. Add the water. With a fork, stir until the flour is completely moistened, but the dough is not entirely smooth. Cover and let sit for 8 to 12 hours, or overnight, at room temperature.
- Place the whole wheat flour in a large bowl or directly on a work surface. Set aside.
- With your hands, directly in the pot, deflate the dough by folding it in on itself about 6 times or until smooth.
- Coat the dough well in the whole wheat flour.
- Clean out the pot and line with parchment paper.
- Place the well-coated dough at the centre of the pot. Cover and let sit for 45 minutes at room temperature or until doubled in volume.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Let the bread cool in the pot. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Remove any excess flour.
You can also bake this dough in a generously buttered loaf pan lined with a strip of parchment paper, letting it hang over two sides. In this case, reduce the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C) and bake only for 50 minutes.