Tomato and Peach Salad with Béarnaise Dressing
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tarragon sprig
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 beefsteak tomato, cut into 12 wedges
- 2 yellow tomatoes, sliced
- 3 peaches, ripe but firm, pitted and cut into thin wedges
- ½ cup (50 g) sugar snap peas, trimmed and thinly sliced on an angle
- 6 radicchio leaves, torn
- 1 tsp tarragon, finely chopped
- In a glass measuring cup, combine the vinegar, pepper, shallot and tarragon. Heat in the microwave oven for 30 seconds or until the mixture starts to boil. Let cool. Remove the tarragon.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, mustard, salt and vinegar mixture.
- Slowly drizzle in 1/3 of the oil, drop by drop, whisking constantly.
- When the emulsion starts to resemble mayonnaise, drizzle in the remaining oil while whisking. Adjust the seasoning. Refrigerate.
- In a large serving dish, arrange the salad ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the dressing to taste.
With its winning combination of sun-soaked tomatoes and juicy peaches, this is the perfect late-summer salad.