- In a small pot, heat the milk with the butter until melted. Off the heat, add the tea bags. Cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Remove the tea bags, squeezing them gently. Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until the mixture is pale and doubled in volume, about 5 minutes. With the machine running on low speed, whisk in the dry ingredients alternating with the cooled milk mixture until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Generously butter and flour two 12-cavity madeleine moulds (see note).
Frosted Lemon Zest
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest.
- Fill each cavity of the moulds three-quarters full with batter. Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden. Unmould onto a wire rack and immediately coat in the sugar mixture. Let cool completely on the wire rack.
To prevent the flour from sticking to the madeleines during baking, place the buttered and floured madeleine moulds in the freezer for 30 minutes before filling with the batter.
The batter will keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator, but the baked madeleines are best enjoyed the same day they are made.
The madeleines freeze well without the sugar coating.