- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the broccoli for 1 minute. Drain and cool in a bowl of ice water. Drain again. Set aside.
- In a large 10-inch (25 cm) ovenproof skillet over medium heat, soften the shallot in the butter. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute while whisking. Add the wine and milk. Bring to a boil while whisking.
- Add the gnocchi and simmer gently for 4 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the gnocchi are al dente. Add the scallops and broccoli. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Finish off under the broiler until the cheese is golden. Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve with a green salad, if desired.
From large U10 scallops from Quebec to smaller imported 80-120 scallops, including shrimp and scallop mixes, the choice of frozen seafood available in grocery stores offers plenty of options that will work well in this recipe.