- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Drain the pears, reserving 1 ½ cups (375 ml) of the syrup.
- In a pot, bring the pear syrup to a boil with the dates, lemon juice and cloves. Simmer for 5 minutes, crushing the dates with a wooden spoon, until the mixture forms a purée. Spread the date purée out in an 11 x 8-inch (28 x 20 cm) baking dish. Cover with the pear halves, cut sides up.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, oats, flour and salt until the dry ingredients are moistened and the mixture comes together when pressed between your fingertips. Cover the pears with the oat topping.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Let cool before serving. Delicious served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
You can prepare this recipe in advance and assemble the date and pears in the baking dish.
The oat topping can also be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Simply cover the pears with the oat topping and bake the crisp before you begin your meal to give it enough time to cool before serving.