- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the salt.
- In a mortar and pestle, grind the saffron and sugar into a powder. Add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the boiling water. Mix to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
- Cook the rice in the pot of boiling water for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and rinse under cold water. Clean out the pot.
- In the same pot over medium-high, heat the oil. Spread the potato slices along the bottom of the pot and cook for 3 minutes or until starting to brown. Sprinkle with the cumin. Season with salt. Spread the rice loosely over the potatoes (do not pack it down). Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Using a spoon, gently remove 1 cup (250 ml) of the rice from the top of the pot and place in a bowl. Add the saffron mixture and stir until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is completely yellow.
- Place the white rice at the centre of a large serving dish. Arrange the potatoes around the rice. Top with the saffron rice. Garnish with the pomegranate seeds and pistachios.