- Place the water, sugar, salt, thyme, spices and garlic in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve. Remove from the heat. Add the wine. Let cool to room temperature.
- Place the meat in a large glass Pyrex loaf pan and cover with the brine. Cover and refrigerate for about 24 hours. Turn once or twice during this period.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Slice off the top of the head of garlic and wrap the garlic in aluminum foil. Roast for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, remove the meat from the brine and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Using the tip of a small knife, make slits in the meat and insert the garlic pieces.
- In an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, brown the meat in the oil on all sides. Transfer to the oven and roast, alongside the head of garlic,45 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the centre of the pork reads 145°F (63°C). Transfer the roast to a plate and let cool. Cover and refrigerate until chilled or at room temperature, about 3 hours.
Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of its skin and into a large bowl. Whisk in the vinegar, mustard and egg yolk and mix well to combine.
- Drizzle in about a third of the oil, drop by drop, whisking continuously. When the mixture begins to stiffen, drizzle in the remaining oil, still whisking continuously. Season with salt and pepper.
- Carve the roast into thin slices. Serve with the roasted garlic mayonnaise.