- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In an 8-inch (20 cm), 8-cup (2 litre) soufflé dish, combine the water, sugar and cornstarch. Add the fruit and mix well. Set aside.
- In a small pot, heat the milk with the butter until melted. Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until the mixture is pale and doubled in volume, about 5 minutes. With the machine running on low speed, whisk in the dry ingredients alternating with the cooled milk mixture until smooth. Add half of the almonds. Spread the batter over the fruit in the soufflé dish. Sprinkle with the remaining almonds.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.