- Dredge the seitan cubes in flour.
- In a large saucepan, brown the seitan in the oil and 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of butter. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the seitan from the pan. Set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic, leek, celery and carrots, about 3 minutes in the remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the seitan to the pan. Add the wine, broth, miso, thyme and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the onions and mushrooms.
- Place the onions in boiling water and blanch for about 30 seconds. Drain in a colander. Run under cold water and peel.
- In a small saucepan, gently melt the butter. Add the water, sugar and peeled onions. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat until the water evaporates and the onions caramelize, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a skillet, sauté the mushrooms in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the glazed onions and mushrooms to the pan. Just before serving, sprinkle with parsley.
If the sauce is not thick enough, you can thicken it with kneaded butter :15 ml (1 tablespoon) of butter blended with 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of flour. Remove the stew from the heat and drain the seitan and vegetables in a colander over a large bowl. Return the cooking juices to the pan and bring to a boil. Then add the kneaded butter, while whisking, 15 ml (1 tablespoon) at a time, then return the seitan and vegetables to the stew.
Sold in health food stores and some Asian grocery stores, seitan is available plain or seasoned (Le Petit Chef du Commensal brand, etc.). What is it made of? It is the wheat protein that is extracted from wheat flour. It is the gluten, which is cooked in broth with soy sauce and seaweed. It is used in much the same way as meat. You can make kebabs, meat loaf or hamburgers, it is also incorporated in soups, pies, lasagna and casseroles. Seitan keeps about two weeks in the refrigerator and up to six months in the freezer.