- Slice the pineapple in half lengthwise keeping the foliage. Remove the core. Remove the flesh, taking care not to pierce the pineapple peel. Freeze the pineapple peel for service. Chop the flesh of the pineapple.
- In a saucepan, cook the pineapple, brown sugar and rum. Simmer for about 20 minutes. When the mixture’s liquid has almost completely evaporated, remove from the heat. Let cool, then refrigerate.
- In a bowl, let the ice cream soften for a few minutes. Stir in the cooled stewed pineapple. Fill the frozen half-pineapple peels. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven’s broiler.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks form. Cover the frozen filling with the meringue. Brown under the broiler. Slice and serve.
A perfect dessert for summer entertaining.