- Place the beans in a large bowl.
- Cover with water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature. Add water as needed.
- Drain the beans and place in a large saucepan with the clove-studded onion, carrot, a sprig of thyme and bay leaf. Season with salt. Bring to a boil.
- Skim as needed. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 1 hour 30 minutes. Add the sausage ten minutes before the cooking is over.
- Remove from the heat, drain and discard the spices (studded onion, carrot, thyme, bay leaf).
- In a saucepan, cook the pancetta in the butter. Add the other onion, garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, broth, beans, cream and the second sprig of thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour. Cut the sausages into 1-cm (1/2-inch) thick slices and add to the saucepan with the parsley. Continue cooking for 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning. Freeze when cooled.