Santa Fe Black Bean Soup
- 20 MIN
- 30 MIN
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and pepper in the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add the broth, tomatoes and cumin. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and corn. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the soup simmers, cook the sausages in a skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Cut into 1-cm (1/4-inch) slices. Add the sausage and cilantro to the soup. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish each serving with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
Capsaicin, a substance contained in peppers, is very irritating to the eyes and skin. It is strongly recommended to handle peppers with gloves. You can replace the merguez sausage with chorizo, which is a pork sausage seasoned with chili; mild or spicy. These Spanish and South American sausages can be found fresh or dried and smoked. Longaniza Portuguese sausage is another version.