- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 ° C (350 ° F). Line a 38 cm x 25-cm (15 x 10-inch) baking sheet with parchment paper and butter.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer until frothy. Add the sugar and vanilla. Beat until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. Gently fold into the first mixture with a spatula. Stir in the butter. Spread the batter onto the baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Invert the cake immediately roll and let cool. Unroll and spread the chosen filling.
German Chocolate Topping
- In a skillet, toast the pecans and coconut. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the condensed milk, egg yolks and butter. Cook stirring over low heat until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Add the pecan mixture and vanilla. Blend well. Let cool to room temperature.
- Frost the cake with this topping and roll. To decorate, dust with cocoa or garnish with a recipe for white chocolate frosting (recipe below).
Jam and white chocolate topping
- In a saucepan, Bring the cream to a boil Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Let melt for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Stir until the mixture is smooth. Cover and refrigerate until it is cold.
- In a bowl, whip the white chocolate mixture until the texture resembles soft whipped cream.
- Spread the jam on the cake and roll. Spread the frosting on the log, making streaks with a fork to imitate the bark of a tree.
Black Forest topping
- Moisten the unrolled cake with Kirsch.
- In a bowl, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla. Spread over the cake. Sprinkle with the chocolate and garnish with the cherries.
- Roll the cake and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
- To decorate, frost the log with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Keep the log in the refrigerator.