Chicken Chop Suey
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 8 oz (225 g) white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts separate)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 cups (1 litre) bean sprouts
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups (340 g) cooked chicken, diced
- 1/2 cup (65 g) cashew nuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In wok or large skillet over high heat, brown the mushrooms, peppers, celery, and white part of the onions in the oil. Add the bean sprouts and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken and chicken broth mixture. Bring to a boil while stirring and simmer for about 2 minutes or until the beans are tender. Adjust the seasoning. Sprinkle with the green part of the onions and cashews.
Stir-fry is one of our favourites for weekday’s dinner.