- With a sharp knife, slit the meat in a few places and insert pieces of anchovies.
- In a saucepan, brown the veal on all sides in the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetables, garlic, herbs, wine and juice of half a lemon. Cover with water. Simmer gently, covered, for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours. Skim occasionally during cooking. Cool the meat in its poaching liquid overnight in the refrigerator.
- In a blender, purée the capers and anchovies with the mayonnaise. Add the tuna and pulse to combine. Pour in the warm broth and the remaining lemon juice.
- Drain the veal and cut into thin slices. Arrange the slices slightly overlapping on a serving plate. Drizzle with the sauce. Garnish with capers and lemon slices. Serve cold as a starter.
Vitello Tonnato is a veal (vitello) dish with a tuna (tonnato) sauce. It is served cold as a starter. Ideal for a buffet.