- In a large pot, cover the ribs with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Skim during cooking. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, soften the onion and garlic in the butter. Add the spices and stir to blend. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until the sauce is slightly syrupy. In a blender, purée the sauce until smooth.
- In a large bowl, coat the meat with the sauce. Cover and refrigerate for about 12 hours.
- Preheat the grill, setting the burners to medium. Oil the grate.
- Grill the ribs for 5 to 6 minutes per side, brushing with the sauce while cooking.
- Serve with a potato salad.