Apple and Cheddar Burgers
- 1 lb (454 g) medium ground beef, pork or veal
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated sharp cheddar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large kaiser rolls or hamburger buns
- Dijon mustard
- 1 green or Cortland apple, chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Boston lettuce
- Preheat the grill, setting the burners to medium-high. Oil the grate.
- In a bowl, combine the meat, applesauce, breadcrumbs, egg and cheddar. Season with salt and pepper. Shape four 12.5-cm (5-inch) in diameter patties.
- Grill until well done, about 5 minutes per side. Toast the rolls on the grill.
- Spread the rolls with mustard and mayonnaise. Place a patty on each roll. Garnish with apple, green onion and lettuce.