- 1 cup (250 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) fine cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) Cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) canola oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Butter and line a 20 x 10-cm (8 x 4-inch) loaf pan with parchment paper, letting the paper hang over two sides.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the oil, sugar, and egg with a whisk until smooth. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk until the batter is smooth. Pour into the pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes. Unmould and cool on wire rack.
- Slice and serve with the Barbecue Shredded Beef.
Emblematic of the New World, corn is the basis of the Southern American cuisine. Cornbread is made from semolina. Without any yeast, it rises because of the addition of baking powder. Each year in Tennessee, corn is celebrated at the National Festival of Cornbread (nationalcornbread.com).