- In a bowl, rehydrate the mushrooms in the boiling water for about 10 minutes. Strain into a bowl. Keep the soaking liquid. Drain the mushrooms. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the chicken broth with the mushroom soaking liquid. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, soften the onion with the sausage and mushrooms in the butter. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat with butter.
- Add the hot broth, about 250 ml (1 cup) at a time, stirring constantly until the liquid is completely absorbed between each addition.
- After about 20 minutes, the rice should be al dente. Add the cheese and season to taste.