Lemon and Parmesan Rabbit
- 6 rabbit legs or 1 whole rabbit, cut into 6 pieces
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 12 shallots, peeled and halved
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) lemon juice
- 3 cups (750 ml) chicken broth
- 1 to 2 Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rind pieces (see note)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, grated zest only
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet or saucepan, brown the rabbit pieces in the oil. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze with the lemon juice. Add the broth, cheese rind, and capers. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking for about 20 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by half. Adjust the seasoning and season generously with pepper.
- Sprinkle with the lemon zest and chives. Serve with boiled potatoes or egg noodles.
The infusion of the parmesan rind that can’t be grated, is a classic Italian way to flavour sauces. Alternatively, you can add about 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese into the sauce at the last moment. You can also crumble triple cream cheese to garnish each plate (about 75 g of cheese for 6 servings).