Spicy Noodle and Pork Soup
- 1 pork tenderloin, cut in half lengthwise and sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sambal oelek, or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 ml) sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 1 potato)
- 4 slices fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 star anise
- 1 package 200 g cooked udon noodles (see note)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, brown the pork, half at a time, with the sambal oelek in the oils. Season with salt and pepper. Add the green onions and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, sweet potato, ginger, and star anise and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for about 10 minutes or until the potato is tender. Add the noodles and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove the ginger slices and star anise. Adjust the seasoning. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.
You can find the cooked udon noodles, vacuum-sealed, in the Asian food section of most grocery stores.