- Place rice in a bowl and cover with cold water. Gently rinse rice until water becomes cloudy. Drain and repeat four to five times or until water runs completely clear. Leave rice in a sieve until it is well drained.
- Place rinsed and drained rice and water in the rice cooker. Close the lid and start the cooking process.
- When rice is cooked, remove from the cooker, but leave rice inside the bowl. Add custard cream and stir with a spatula. Stir until rice has absorbed all the custard (beware of hot steam). Make a hole in the centre of the rice and let rest for 5 minutes. Repeat three or four times. Let rice completely cool in the bowl for 1 to 2 hours. The rice is ready to be used to make dessert sushi.
- For each roll, use moist fingers to spread about 250 ml (1 cup) of rice on a soy wrapper, until 2.5-cm (1-inch) from the upper edge. Spread 30 to 45 ml (2 to 3 tablespoons) of speculoos spread in the centre of the sheet, the entire width. Cover with about 250 ml (1 cup) of fruit. Put a few grains of rice on the rice-less upper part. Roll, starting from rice side of the sheet. Compress roll with a bamboo mat, applying uniform pressure.
- Dip the tip of a knife into water and cut roll into 10 pieces. Place on a serving platter.
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Genevieve Everell.