Mini Vanilla Cupcakes
- 30 MIN
- 15 MIN
- 75 mini cupcakes, approximately
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Place mini paper liners on 2 baking sheets (see note). Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer for about 10 minutes or until it triples in volume and forms a ribbon. Drizzle in oil while beating.
- At low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with milk until smooth. With a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip or with a small spoon, fill paper liners about three-quarters of the way with batter. Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- With an electric mixer or in a stand mixer, beat butter, icing sugar, cream and vanilla for 2 minutes or until light and smooth. Add boiling water, 15 ml (1 tablespoon) at a time, beating 30 seconds between each addition.
- With a pastry bag fitted with a plain or fluted tip, frost cupcakes. Garnish with a slice of candied kumquat (see recipe), a candied cranberry (see recipe) or kisses-style chocolate.
If you are using paper liners, double them in order to properly stabilize mini-cupcakes while baking. Otherwise, use stronger aluminum liners, available in most supermarkets, which don’t need to be doubled.