Fryer-Less General Tao Chicken
- 25 MIN
- 25 MIN
- 4 to 6 servings
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, broth, vinegar, ginger, garlic, cornstarch, paprika, sambal oelek and sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil and simmer until mixture is slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add soy mixture. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Keep sauce aside, off the heat.
- In a large non-stick skillet, soften peppers for about 3 minutes in 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of oil. Set aside on a plate.
- In a bowl, season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add flour and toss until well coated. Remove any excess flour. In the same skillet, brown half of the chicken at a time in remaining oil (150 ml/2/3 cup), making sure to always have about 1-cm (3/4-inch) of oil to fry chicken. Add oil, if needed. Drain on paper towels and keep warm. Repeat with remaining chicken. Discard oil.
- In the same skillet, heat sauce. Add chicken and toss to coat well. Sprinkle with green onions.
- Serve with rice and stir-fried vegetables such as bok choy or Chinese cabbage.