Roasted Pheasant and Vegetables
- In a baking dish, rub the birds with the cider vinegar. In a small bowl, combine the coarse salt and brown sugar. Rub the pheasants with the salt mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Drain and pat the pheasants dry. In a large roasting pan, toss the squash, potatoes, shallots, garlic and bacon with the oil. Place the birds over the vegetables. Bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh without touching the bone reads 180 °F (82 °C).
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the brown sugar, vinegar, garlic and pepper to a boil. Continue cooking until the sauce has caramelized, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and apple juice. Simmer over medium heat for about 45 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by half.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Drizzle the cornstarch mixture in the sauce, whisking constantly. Simmer for 2 minutes.
You can replace the pheasants with guinea fowls or quails. The baking time will vary according to the size of the game.