Pita Pizza with Eggplant and Egg
- 1 small eggplant, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 4 small pita bread, about 8-inches (20 cm) in diameter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red bell pepper spread
- 6 oz (170 g) sliced Oka cheese (about 1 cup)
- 4 eggs
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (see note).
- In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the eggplant in the oil, half at a time. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- Spread the bell pepper spread over the pitas. Cover with eggplant slices and top with the cheese, leaving an empty space in the centre of each pita. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Break an egg in the centre of each pita. Continue baking for about 8 minutes or until the egg white is cooked, but the yolk is still runny. Season with pepper and sprinkle with parsley if desired.
If your baking sheet is small, cook 2 pitas at a time. Properly cooking the egg in the oven need some monitoring.