- 40 MIN
- 20 MIN
- 12 H
- In a large bowl, place the chickpeas and fava beans. Cover generously with cold water and let soak for 12 hours (or overnight) at room temperature. Add water if needed, to make sure the legumes are always well covered. Rinse and drain.
- In a food processor, purée the rehydrated chickpeas and fava beans. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the sesame seeds, and combine until smooth.
- With a 2-tbsp (30 ml) ice cream scoop, shape balls with the legume mixture and place on a large plate. (This should yield about 20 balls.) With clean, damp hands, roll the falafel into ovals. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oil in the deep fryer to 350°F (180°C) (see note). Line a baking sheet with two layers of paper towels.
- If desired, roll the falafel in sesame seeds before cooking. Fry a few falafel for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Drain on the paper towels.
- Serve with Cilantro Sauce (see recipe below), hummus and Parsnip and Carrot Salad (see recipe below), or simply wrapped in a pita.
Fresh fava beans are green, but become more yellow when dried. You can find them in most grocery stores, alongside the other dried legumes.
You can also cook falafel in a skillet with oil, for approximately 3 minutes per side, and then bake in an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C) for 5 minutes.