Rolled Egg Salad Sandwiches
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped sweet pickles
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 slices white bread cut horizontally, about 10 inches (25 cm) long (see note)
- 4 large green asparagus spears, blanched
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, mash the eggs with a fork. Add the mayonnaise and stir, while mashing, until the mixture is creamy. Add the pickles and green onions. Season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- With a rolling pin, slightly flatten the bread slices. Spread the egg salad on the bread slices. Trim the crust. Place an asparagus spear at the bottom of the short side of each bread slice. Roll firmly to secure the asparagus in the middle of each roll. Cover the sandwiches in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and cut each roll into ½-inch (1 cm) slices to obtain 5 to 6 small sandwiches per roll.
Horizontally sliced bread is sold in specialty stores and some bakeries. You can also order it in advance. Freezes well.