Almond Meringue (Dacquoise)
- With the racks in the middle positions, preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. On the underside of the parchment paper, draw three 8-inch (20 cm) circles using a pencil.
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour and icing sugar. Set aside.
- In a bowl placed over a pot of simmering water, heat the sugar, egg whites and liqueur, whisking constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Remove the bowl from the pot.
- Beat the mixture with an electric mixer until completely cooled and stiff peaks form. With a spatula or whisk, gently fold in the dry ingredients.
- With a pastry bag fitted with a ½-inch (1 cm) plain round tip, pipe a ½-inch (1 cm) thick disc inside each circle, staying within the lines.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the meringues are dry in the centre. Let cool.
Almond Sponge Cake
- Adjust the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C). Butter two 8-inch (20 cm) springform pans and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 10 minutes or until the mixture triples in volume and forms a ribbon as it falls from the beaters.
- Drizzle in the oil while whisking. With a spatula, gently fold in the flour. Spoon the batter into the prepared pans and sprinkle with the almond slices. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Let cool before unmoulding.
- Meanwhile, on the underside of a piece of parchment paper, draw two 8-inch (20 cm) circles, using a pencil.
- Over a double boiler or in the microwave oven, melt the chocolate. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cereal. With an offset spatula, spread the mixture into discs inside each circle. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until the chocolate is firm.
- Spoon 1 tbsp (15 ml) of coffee buttercream in the centre of a serving platter to stabilize the cake. Cover with one almond meringue disc.
- Spread about ½ cup (125 ml) of buttercream on the meringue. Cover with one chocolate crisp disc. Spread ½ cup (125 ml) of buttercream on the disc. Cover with one almond cake and brush with coffee. Top with another ½ cup (125 ml) of buttercream. Repeat the sequence, finishing with the last meringue disc on top of the cake.
- The cake will keep for 3 days, under a cake dome, at room temperature.
The cake is even better the next day!