- Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with paper towels or place a wire rack on the baking sheet.
- In a bowl, place ¾ cup of the flour. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining flour (1 ¼ cups), salt and cayenne pepper. Add the beer and gently stir with a fork until the batter is just mixed (a few lumps of flour will remain).
- Coat a few onion rings at a time in the seasoned flour. Shake to remove any excess. Dip the rings in the batter. Gently lower into the hot oil. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on the baking sheet. Season lightly with salt. Repeat with the remaining rings. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Delicious with Lobster Rolls (see recipe below), burgers or hot dogs.
Large sweet onions (like vidalia) are preferable, but you can make great onion rings with any type of onion. Keep the smaller rings for another recipe.