- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, brown the onion in the oil. Add the garlic and turmeric. Continue cooking over medium heat for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Add the lentils and barley. Coat well with the onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or until the barley is tender.
- Add the spinach, herbs, chickpeas and kidney beans. Cook for 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-high heat, brown the garlic in the oil. Add the mint and mix thoroughly.
- Divide the soup into serving bowls. Serve with a dollop of yogurt or a lemon wedge, and top with the mint garnish.
To save time, chop the spinach with the herbs in the food processor.