- In a large saucepan, cover the ribs with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven or a large ovenproof saucepan over medium-high heat, brown the shanks on all sides in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onion, carrot and garlic. Continue cooking until the vegetables begin to brown. Add the broth, strained tomatoes and bay leaves. Bring to a boil.
- Drain the ribs and discard the cooking water. Add the ribs to the shanks. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and add the water, potatoes and sausages. Combine, cover and return to the oven for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Adjust the seasoning.
You can replace the pork shank with 1 lb (454 g) of boneless pork shoulder cut into large cubes, if desired.