- In a saucepan, bring the rice, water and salt to a boil. Stir, cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed. Let rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook half of the eggplant at a time in 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil for 10 minutes or until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate and keep warm.
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, lime juice, water, fish sauce and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In the same skillet used for the eggplant, over high heat, cook the meat in the oil until golden brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the soy sauce mixture, ginger, garlic and chili pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute or until the meat is coated with the sauce.
- Serve the rice, eggplant and beef together in bowls. Top with the bean sprouts, green onions, cilantro and lime wedges.
Top each bowl with a fried egg for a bibimbap-like twist.