- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In an ovenproof pot or Dutch oven over high heat, brown half of the meat at a time in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same pot over medium heat, soften the onions in the remaining cooking fat.
- Deglaze with the wine and broth. Return the meat to the pot. Add the tomato paste and bread crumbs. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Add the vegetables and continue cooking for 45 minutes or until the vegetables and meat are tender. Adjust the seasoning.