- In a bowl, combine the chicken and mayonnaise. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a food processor, combine the corn masa flour, green onions, pepper flakes and salt. Add the water and pulse until the dough is smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes. Shape the dough into 6 discs 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook half of the arepas at a time in the oil for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Add more oil, if needed. Drain on paper towels. Using a breadknife, cut the arepas in half horizontally while still hot. Keep warm.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, brown the banana slices in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Drain on paper towels.
- Layer the chicken, bananas, avocado, cheese and cilantro leaves on the arepa halves. Drizzle with lime juice. Close the arepas. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Instant corn masa flour can be found in most supermarkets or Latin American grocery stores. If unavailable, it can be replaced with quick-cooking polenta by adding slightly more water: 2 cups + 2 tbsp (530 ml).