- Place the rice cakes in a large bowl and cover with water. Let soak at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, whisk together the mirin, water, chili paste, sesame oil and soy sauce. Set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet over high heat, brown the meat in 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the vegetable oil, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the bell peppers and onion. Continue cooking for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are al dente. Set aside on a plate.
- Drain the rice cakes, keeping 1 cup (250 ml) of the soaking water.
- In the same skillet used to brown the meat, sauté the rice cakes in the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the reserved water and cook until the rice cakes are tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the meat and vegetable mixture and the mirin mixture. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring gently until the sauce coats the rice cakes and vegetables. Serve garnished with the green onion and cilantro.
Tteok can be cylindrical, round or thinly sliced ovals. You can find them in the fridge or freezer section of Asian markets.