- In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the garlic in the oil. Remove from the heat, remove the garlic, and keep the oil in the pot.
- In a food processor, finely chop the garlic with the vegetables. Add the mixture back to the pot and soften over high heat. Add the meat and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it browns. Add the wine and let reduce by half. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer over medium heat for 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and bring to a boil while whisking. Gently simmer for 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spread 1 cup (250 ml) of the ragù sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish. Spoon 3/4 cup (180 ml) of the béchamel sauce in dollops overtop. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup (25 g) of the mozzarella and 2 tbsp of the Parmesan. Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, finishing with the mozzarella cheese. Place the dish on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
Different brands of lasagna noodles will be different sizes, so adjust accordingly to reach 5 layers of pasta.