- In a pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add the saffron. Keep warm.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, soften the squash, onion and garlic in half of the butter. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat well. Add the wine and reduce until almost dry.
- Over medium heat, add the broth mixture, about 1 cup (250 ml) at a time, stirring frequently until the liquid is completely absorbed before adding more broth. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 18 to 22 minutes or until the rice is al dente. Add more broth, if needed.
- Off the heat, add the cheese and the remaining butter. Stir until creamy. Adjust the seasoning.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, lightly brown the garlic in the oil. Add the kale and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the risotto topped with the kale and hazelnuts. Garnish with cheese, if desired.
Rinsing the chopped kale under cold running water helps to mellow its pronounced flavour.