- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the bread cubes in the oil. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and add the Parmesan and fennel fronds. Set aside.
- In a pot over medium-high heat, brown the green fennel slices, onion, garlic, anchovy and pepper flakes in 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the olive oil. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and broth. Let simmer for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes turn an orange-red colour.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the white fennel slices with the caper brine. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the capers in the remaining oil. Add the capers to the fennel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender, coarsely purée the soup, leaving a few of the larger chunks of tomato intact for a more rustic texture. Season with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls and garnish with the croutons and the fennel.
For the best colour and flavour, pick the reddest, ripest tomatoes for this easy, freezer-friendly soup.