- In a bowl, toss the hake with the salt and smoked paprika. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the garlic in the oil. Remove 2 tsp (10 ml) of the garlic-infused oil and set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the jalapeño, clam juice, tomatoes and potatoes to the skillet. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Season with pepper. Add the hake, cover and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until the fish is cooked and the potatoes are tender.
- Add the mayonnaise to the bowl of reserved garlic oil and mix well. Season with pepper.
- Serve the stew with the roasted garlic mayonnaise. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Eco-friendly tip: Wild U.S. hake is your best bet, but Nova Scotia haddock and farmed Atlantic halibut will also work well.