Classic Cold-Cut Sub Sandwiches
- 4 10-inch (25 cm) submarine buns
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- 1/2 lb (225 g) mild provolone cheese, sliced
- 1 lb (450 g) mixed cold cuts (such as ham, mortadella, smoked turkey, capicollo)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups (120 g) iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- On a work surface, cut the buns in half horizontally without cutting all the way through. Spread the inside of the buns with the mayonnaise. Add the cheese, followed by the cold cuts, tomatoes, lettuce, green pepper and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar and oregano. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the vegetables and close the submarines.
The foundation of a good sub is a roll that’s easy on the teeth but has enough crust to hold cold cuts, cheese and veggies without getting soggy. Best not to use a baguette, you’ll destroy your masterpiece just trying to tear into it!