Baked Almond-Crusted Chicken with Carrot Purée
- 1/2 cup (65 g) ground almonds
- 1/2 cup (40 g) panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 bone-in whole chicken legs with skin
- 4 cups (520 g) carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) apricot jam
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) whole-grain mustard
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground almonds, panko and spices. Generously season with salt and pepper. In a shallow dish, lightly beat the eggs.
- Working one at a time, dip the chicken into the beaten eggs, letting some of the excess drip off. Then press into the breadcrumb mixture and coat well. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a thermometer inserted in the thigh, without touching bone, reads 180°F (82°C).
- Meanwhile, in a pot of salted boiling water, cook the carrots and potatoes for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a food processor, purée the vegetables with the butter until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
- Serve the chicken and carrot purée with the mayonnaise sauce and green beans, if desired.