- In a small bowl of ice water, soak the green onions for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Add the egg and water. Add the shrimp, chopped green onions and garlic. Mix until the batter is smooth.
- Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Using a 1-tbsp (15 ml) ice cream scoop, drop a few balls of batter at a time in the hot oil. Watch out for splattering. Cook for 4 minutes or until golden, turning halfway through. Drain on the paper towel. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- On a serving dish, arrange the hot fritters over a smear of the lime mayonnaise. Garnish with the julienne of green onions. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
The fritters freeze well once cooked. When ready to serve, heat the frozen fritters for 6 to 8 minutes on the middle rack of a 375°F (190°C) oven.