- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a food processor, finely chop the vegetables with 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the oil.
- In a Dutch oven or ovenproof pot over medium-high heat, brown the rabbit in the remaining oil. Add the chopped vegetables and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Add the wine and let reduce by half. Add the broth and herbs. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and cook for another 30 minutes. Remove the sage leaves.
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until very al dente. Drain.
- Add the cheese and pasta to the Dutch oven. Toss to finish cooking the pasta and to coat in the sauce.
For 1 lb (450 g) of deboned rabbit, you will need the flesh from 3 whole hind legs or 2 whole hind legs and 2 front legs, depending on the size of the rabbit.
Ask your butcher to debone the rabbit for you. Keep the bones to make your own stock.
The sauce freezes well.