Coconut Milk Soup with Crab
- 4 small acorn squash
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) peanut oil
- 1 can 398 ml coconut milk
- 3 cups (750 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh ginger, grated
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans 120g crabmeat, drained
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 60g rice vermicelli
- Salt and pepper
- Cilantro, for garnish
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a work surface, cut off the tops of the squash or in half, depending on their size. Remove the seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place on the baking sheet, place the top back on, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the squash is tender with the tip of a knife.
- In a saucepan, sauté the onions in the oil. Add the remaining ingredients except for the noodles and cilantro. Simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slightly cut the base to safely place the squash in the plates. Scoop out a little of the flesh. Pour the soup into the squash. Garnish with cilantro.
The acorn squash is a beautiful vegetable that deserves to be seen ... and eaten. The soup looks good served in the small squash. Simply scrape a little flesh from the squash to eat with the soup.