- Remove the string and rind from the ham. Place the ham in a large pan or Dutch oven and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove the ham from the pan. Discard the water. Start over again. Drain. Set the ham aside on a plate.
- With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In the same pan or Dutch oven, bring the syrup to a boil. Simmer until it thickens and begins to caramelize. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Place the ham in the pan. Season with pepper.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours. Uncover and continue cooking for 1 hour, basting frequently with the cooking juices. Place the ham on a carving board and reduce the cooking juices by half.
- Slice the ham and serve with the maple pan juices and Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples .