Pork Meatball Soup
- 1 lb (454 g) lean ground pork
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) ground nutmeg
- A pinch ground cinnamon
- A pinch ground cloves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 ml) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped parsley
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, brown the onion in the butter. Add the carrots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Shape each ball with about 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of the meat mixture and add to the simmering broth. Simmer gently, covered, for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the parsley and adjust the seasoning.
You can also brown the meatballs in butter and oil before adding them to the broth.